Yes! Charging a customer for an interstate move based on cubic feet is legal if the mover has a provision for cubic feet charges in its tariff and follows the general provisions of the law.

Charges based on cubic feet, or other volume based charges, are allowed if the written estimate is BINDING.

A mover may also offer options to a customer to charge based on weight OR cubic feet if the mover has a TARIFF that allows for both options.

Federal law under 49 USC Section 14104(b)(1)(C) requires that "non-binding" estimates must be based on weight only. This section does not prohibit charges based on cubic feet; however it limits cubic feet charges to "binding" estimates. Moreover, a mover must generally follow certain requirements to legally charge a customer based on cubic feet. The following are general requirements for correctly/legally charging a customer based on cubic feet:

(1) Estimates based on cubic feet must be BINDING.

(2) Estimate or rescission must indicate that charges are based on cubic feet.

(3) A mover must have a TARIFF which permits cubic feet charges.

(4) The cubic feet charges must be based on accurate measurements.

(5) A mover may charge a fee for providing a written BINDING estimate.



Moving Claims is not an insurance company and the employees of Moving Claims are not acting as your insurance adjusters. Moving Claims does not practice Insurance laws and does not give legal advice. This site is not intended to create an insurance claim, and by using the Moving Claims websites, no insurance claim will be created with Moving Claims. Instead, you are filing a Household Goods claim with the carrier who moved you via Moving Claims Websites. Moving Claims websites information as well as any advises of its employees is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. The information contained on this website is designed for informational purposes only. Nothing on this website is designed or intended to constitute legal advice. Federal, state, and local laws and regulations governing the moving industry change frequently and may be interpreted differently by different people. If you need specific legal advice you should consult a lawyer directly or a representative from the US DOT.